With a price tag of $124.45 million, the 131,000-acre property sprawls about 75 miles northeast of Lubbock and ranks as one of the most historic and prestigious ranches in the Lone Star State. In 1952, Fred Koch bought the Headquarters Division of the famous ranch, which a Scottish syndicate founded 70 years earlier. In the decades following Koch’s acquisition, the Matador earned national acclaim for savvy management along with its quality cattle operation which focused on a Hereford/Angus cross of Black Baldy cows with Charolais, Hereford, and Angus bulls. Koch added to the original headquarters with subsequent purchases of the Wolf Creek Division (21,379 acres) to the southwest of the ranch. He later bought the Tee Pee City/Lucky Knob Division (41,077 acres), and the Russellville Division (31,962 acres), bringing the total acreage of the ranch to its present figure of 130,846 acres. Sam Middleton of Chas. S. Middleton & Son has the listing.
Click here to read more.